I just couldn’t help myself, the title is what it is for a good reason! These beauties are everything that I’m looking for in a chocolate cookie. Crunchy, chewy, chocolatey and gorgeously brown. Dreamy, delicately fragrant AND most of all, packed with amazing Teff. Extra chocolate chip or nuts can be added to your heart’s desire. Just take them as your canvas and go wild!! Happy baking.
150g dark chocolate (or vegan alternative), chopped
125g unsalted butter (or vegan alternative)
2 cups of Habesha Teff flour (both brown or white work equally well)
1 cup coconut sugar (or dark brown sugar)
1/2 cup of good quality cocoa powder
3 large eggs (or vegan alternative) slightly beaten
2 tsp gluten free baking powder
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsps almond milk
1. Preheat oven to 160C or 150C fan. Line a couple of baking trays with baking parchment.
2. Combine chocolate and butter in a small saucepan and melt over low heat. Stir occasionally until combined. Set aside to cool slightly.
3. In a large bowl, combine the sifted flour, sugar, cocoa powder and baking powder. Stir in the beaten eggs and vanilla essence, then fold in the chocolate and butter mixture. Gently stir until fully combined and ready to roll in your hand.
4. Roll large walnut-sized portions into balls and place on the prepared tray. Ensure the cookies are spaced about 5cm apart then press to flatten to approximately 5cm wide.
5. Bake for 18 min (or 15 for chewy inside), set aside to cool.
Makes approximately 16 large cookies